Life in these United States

My neighbors Gary and Lorraine, who also happen to be my landlords and live upstairs, went away for the weekend. They're around 70 years old, very lively and wise, and a bit more conservative than myself. I found the following note wedged into my door:

"Just wanted to let you know that we have gone over to our son's through tomorrow evening, so party it up. If any bill collectors show up, just pay 'em off...you know, 'like a good neighbor...'
Thanks loads, Gary."

I felt he deserved a retaliation, and so I let myself in and left this response on their kitchen table:

"Gary-

"In the end only one bill collector made it upstairs. The rest were swallowed up in the party and therefore arrested like everyone else. Don't worry, I happened to be upstairs looking for your flame-thrower at the time. The police came knocking but I told them I was Lorraine so they let me be. The collector, however, cornered me as Lorraine and demanded I pay an absurd amount (what have you two been playing at?!). I made a deal that he could have the next child Gary and I have. Ha ha, guess we fooled him.

"P.S. Welcome home."

Comments