St. Valentine


I've never hated Valentine's Day with the vehemence it seems most people experience at some point. Even if I don't have a dozen roses waiting on my doorstep, I always have candy hearts and those alone are worth a holiday dedicated to love.
Unchained Melody is playing right now, one of the most passionate love songs out there. Thoughts of romance and legendary love stories are floating through my head, with a few memories that actually seem a little trite when I compare them to the passion of this song. There was that guy in high school, Jordan, who I always hoped would notice me. We both did theatre and he was not only easy on the eyes but he had a set of pipes that could catch you with the promise of never letting go. During the Mr. BHS pageant, Jordan came out for the talent portion in his evening wear tux and sang In the Still of the Night. Oh, he had my vote.
Valentine's Day isn't really about love, it's about romance. The sleepless nights, the deeps sighs. I love the fact that for thousands of years people have been trying to fit love and infatuation into some kind of formula and failed miserably. Love won't be locked in a box and that makes me happy. Even hopeful :)
Those thousands of years have brought on some beautiful language all about love, from the simple and poignant declaration "Oh! What thoughts I have of you tonight!" to the hefty definition that that love "is to be all made of sighs and tears...It is to be all made of faith and service...It is to be all made of fantasy..."
I would argue that more love poetry glorifies the heart-wrenching
pain of uncertain infatuation than the breathless delights of real, scuffed-up and fighting love. Real love isn't soft, it's a brawler with peaceful moments. Anyway, was it CS Lewis who said the pain now is part of the happiness then? It's like we believe pure love just wouldn't be as great without the promised misery of giving your heart to someone else.

Just a few thoughts in honor of the holiday. Happy Valentine's.

Comments