I've Seen Better Days

The greatest thing about performing is having friends who come, cheer you on and are genuinely amazed and delighted. Tonight, I tried to be in the audience for Sarah, and I swear the odds were against me from the start.
First, when my roommate said 3:45, I heard we need to leave the house at 3:45. Little did I realize, she meant we need to be at the ferry at that time. Arriving home at the prescribed hour, I panicked. They had left without me.
I grabbed my keys. It was only 13 minutes away and, gee, there was more than twenty minutes till the ferry left. I overshot the port by I don't know how many blocks, and arrived in time to watch the boat pull away.
The next option was a different ferry. It would require more driving on the other side of the water, but I'd make it just in time to see her set. Off I went, copying directions from my dying phone because, hey, it was dying.
One hour later: I've overshot the place by ten miles. Crap. How did this happen? These things ran through my mind all at once, falling over each other in confusion as I righted myself and headed back the way I came. It was already past her start time.
By the time I reached the address, it was doubtful I would catch any of the performance. But what was I to do? At least I could meet up with everybody, gush over her and follow them to her house, which I would never find on my own.
Driving through multiple shopping centers, it became clear something was amiss. I picked up my phone to call and ask when it decided to give up the ghost and finally die.
Awesome.
I asked the girl at the Circle K, and when she had no idea what the Global Bean even was, I kind of knew I was screwed.
I looked. I searched. I tried. I drove and drove and roamed and checked and went to Best Buy for a car charger and came out with my head hung. I was undone.
And so, cut off from friends and google, I did the only thing I knew how. I went home. Back to a different ferry with an hour long ride alone, watching the sun set over the calming sky, still billowing with clouds black and white, bleak and puffy.
I arrived in Seattle, just in time for the Mariners game to end. And traffic stood perfectly still while thousands poured out from Safeco field. While I should have had some joy seeing some of the fans in Red Sox gear, my levity was quickly deflated when I overheard the results of the game. I don't know who they were playing, but the Mariners won.
By now I'm already thoroughly depressed. And Seattle shuts down freeway entrances, apparently, whenever the Mariners play. Because that's obviously a good idea.
I'll skip the boring parts, which lasted anguishly long. But they finally ended, like most nightmares, and I finally arrived at my house.
Tea, if you're reading this, I would do it again in an attempt to come and see you play. Please say you're hooked and plan to keep performing. For what it's worth, Happy Birthday.

Comments