The End of an Era.

Oh, God bless Greenday.

There are few shocks to rival seeing Billie Joe Armstrong present at the Tony Awards because American Idiot is on Broadway. If you are among those who HATE musicals, I can appreciate your hatred, despite my own ardent oath to perpetuate the problem with every fibre of my ability.

This has no bearing on what I'm writing or why. I'm listening to 21 Guns, and am still amazed that Greenday has stuck around and done what it has.

It's been difficult to focus on anything writing-wise, so this may be a strange hodge-podge of nothing important. The definition of a blog, I suppose. Although it seems blogging has become such a serious pastime, I feel pressured to change the world and throw in facts, figures, insights. (If that's what you came for, walk away.)

I'll compile a few different blogs that were going on far too long for their own good.

First...
Times' Person of the Year is Mark Zuckerberg. I like facebook, but now see that I severely underestimate its awesome power:

"Facebook wants to populate the [internet] into a friendly world...you’ll never have to be alone again. The internet, and the whole world, will feel more like a family, a college dorm, or an office where your co-workers are also your best friends."

I get that Time has a special obsession with social networking, but when I read the statement above I wonder if I'm reading it wrong or if the unbridled idealism is real. Loneliness and isolation have plagued the human race for centuries, and it's not due to an inability to tag photos.

Second...
With 2010 coming to a close, we hear alot of review on the past year and decade. The stand-outs that pop into my mind for each are Haiti and 9-11, respectively. Looking forward I think of 2012 and the end of the world. Crazy. Disaster behind, disaster ahead. While opposed to idealism, measuring life in disasters seems equally misguided.

Third...
I babysat a little girl this week, a 2-year-old named Greta. She's a cute kid and gets a kick out of me spinning her round and round and round... She was laughing and playing and suddenly burst into tears at everything. It was clearly bedtime, but she bawled if I left her in her room. A long time ago my mom taught me that if there's no logical reason for a kid to cry, they need to be held. So I swooped Greta up and hugged her tight as I walked around the house. She eventually conked out on my shoulder, but cried again when I set her in her bed. So I sat with her and smoothed her hair until she drifted off again. To know exactly what someone needs and be able to give them that-- wow, if only all of life was that clear and concise.

Of course, Greta doesn't have a facebook profile. Hmmm....

Comments