The Phoenix Week

One thing I am most grateful for is knowing people who make me laugh, even when things are stressful. This week was a bit too much and part of the stress came from the fact that my mother wound up in the emergency room. Talking on Skype later, she asked, "if something happened to me, you wouldn't be that upset, would you?"
Me: "What?!"
Mom (laughing): "Of course you'd be upset, but not that upset?"
Me (baffled and starting to laugh with her): "No. I'll sum up the day as 'breakfast, mom died, work, I think I ate spaghetti..."
She kept me laughing so much I didn't really think of the implications until long after we'd hung up. I give my mom credit--or blame-- for the darker side of my humor. For the record, Mom seems okay, and yes, I'd be devastated.

Conversation number two was between a director and his actor. The director asked if the actor would appear in his next project, but he'd have to be naked.
Actor: Naked?!
Director: How much would I have to pay you?
Actor: For nudity, you'd have to pay me at least 3,000 per day. Plus!
Director: Tell you what. I'll give you 100 plus a sandwich.
Actor (pauses): What kind of sandwich?

Lastly, it's Superbowl Sunday. I know in America, people are raiding grocery stores, gathering in the kitchen, cooking up wings and nachos. Since pregame doesn't start till 11pm here, I'm passing this year though I do usually enjoy the commercials. And the wings. And any excuse to stuff your house with people. I heard once the crime rate plummets on Superbowl Sunday to its lowest point in the year. Come on, America! You can't sit and watch the World Series with that kind of attention?

Comments