Maybe Vampires Were Christians

Of all the classic monsters, vampires have always captivated me most. It would seem every culture has their own version, all strikingly similar. Freakishly similar, it's weird. But the origin of the whole idea seems lost and foggy. The earliest legends are traced not to Transylvania (although Count Dracula has no equal in the famous undead), but to Bohemia. Even there, however, origins are unclear.
I was thinking about this tonight, driving back from the studio. I'm hosting a local TV show, and learning a great deal in the process. First and foremost I think, is my proper place as an actress. This really struck me for the first time, ironically, in Bohemia where I was working on a number of independent films. It seem impossible for an actor to think too highly of him or herself. The reason was this: it was incredibly clear from the very onset that I was one piece of a large picture. The director was as focused on me and my performance as on the lights, the settings on the camera, the set, the background and every other detail. When the camera rolled, I wasn't the star, I was another working piece, something to be set and cued, like a prop (that sounds degrading in one sense, but the directors I worked with treated every prop with great care).
Hosting this show reminds me of the same lesson, but even more so. I'm the only actress onset when we shoot, and we have a small crew. When the camera rolls, it's pointed straight at me. And yet, once more, I'm a sort of elaborate puppet. The edge I'm walking right now is when to pipe in my ideas and when to sit back and leave it to the producer, director and videographer to hash it out. It's a dynamic involving the three of them, who work together all the time, and me, who makes the lengthy drive as needed. They work in TV constantly while I shift from stage to screen, film to TV. And I have a lot, a lot!, to learn. I've noticed that sometimes I can throw out an idea for how to word a certain line, a certain instruction. I do have a writing background, after all. But there are other times when my speaking up is just adding to an already bubbling pot, and I have to remember that, ideas aside, I'm the actress, not the writer. Not the director, and not the producer. The actress. I have no qualms with that one. I thought to myself tonight "Bloody hell. This is what I've always wanted to do, forever. Hopefully, it's just the start but whatever. Right now, right here, I'm a working actress." Success! So just being the actress is in no way a let down or a limitation. It's awesome. It's just different than being the director, cameraman, etc.
Tonight I got frustrated. It was toward the end of filming, we were on something like the 28th scene after a few hours topping off a tiring week of work, and I felt my director was spending more time explaining than directing. My bad, honestly. He saw I was getting edgy, which inspired me to relax, breathe and go forward better. Something I need to work on. Also, he told me I pop my p's. I don't even know how to fix that! And, it's news to me. I wonder who else's ears I've popped at. Small examples, but  I believe it's incredibly important to be teachable, not defensive or stubborn. Actors are not on a set to fill out their own vision but to fill the director's vision, bring it to life, as he/she dictates. 
So back to the vampire question, which I was contemplating on the drive home. Jesus did say something about eating His body and drinking His blood. Obviously, not in the vampiric fashion. He also taught about eternal life and dying in order to live. Christians were not (and still aren't in many areas) welcome. It makes sense that someone would take these teachings, twist them, and tell stories about these awful people, monsters!, who drank the blood of their leader, the original, and died only to live forever. Vampires always seem to come with the question of the soul, right? I could see that easily becoming twisted over time into the many weird vampire tales we have today. Oh, and the rule about needing to be invited in-- maybe a broken version about shaking the dust off your feet? Just a thought. For those long drives.

Comments