Old.

I've been coaching this group of dancers since the school year started, and I was well aware that two of the kids had parents who taught at their high school. Up to this point, I hadn't actually met these particular parents. When I did, I was in for a little surprise
.
First off, when I met Ethan's mom, I was struck by how young she looked. My gosh, she had to be my age! Of course, that's unlikely and maybe even impossible, and I should just ask her what eye cream she uses.

But the crazy part was yet to come. I spied her at a play with her husband, and was floored. I remembered him! He had subbed in my English class...um, a number of...years ago. And we all thought he was a very nicely dressed student, seeing as he looked our age. You know, the baby faced type. In fact, he was a popular subject among the girls in my grade. One of them flirted with him openly, in class, when we were studying Chaucer. It was funny to see the new young teacher brushing off her comments.

This is my teen-aged student's dad.

I suddenly feel terribly old. 

Comments