Coffee Ladies

I got home from work at 4am. Here's how it breaks down...

A local ballroom was in need of someone to work the door a few nights a week. It's a great ballroom and comes with the benefit of access to classes and dances, not to mention a little extra cash and a lot of new people. Last night was my first shift: training. It was also vinyl salsa night. Two local DJs hauled in their massive, massive collection of salsa music-- all on vinyl-- and half the city piled into the ballroom to hear music they can't hear anywhere else.
The dance ended at 1:30am. Those of us working behind the scenes buttoned the place up and didn't get out until 3am. Those of us who promised to make birthday breakfast for our roommate before we knew we'd be working till 3am spent the next hour working our way home whilst finding out that the grocery stores in this city close at 1am (seriously-- what??). Though I was in bed shortly after 4 I was up again before 9 to get to the grocery store during its daylight hours and make breakfast by 10.
Done.
Savoring the success, I sipped on a cup of coffee while my roommate, Barbara, nibbled on her parfait. A friend joined us soon thereafter and there we all sat, having coffee in the kitchen. I was still in pajamas, where I intended fully to remain, but the other girls were ready for church on a summer morning, in light, simple dresses with cute sandals. We're all in the same season of life and close to the same age and as I listened to their conversation it struck me powerfully that somehow, we had indeed become that evasive picture of elegant women who sit in the kitchen on a Sunday morning drinking coffee. It was like a flashback to the 1950s, or probably any era throughout the history of mankind. We were timeless. When did this happen? When did we become those women?

Comments