The Making of a Man

What's Montague? it is not hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man.  Romeo&Juliet Act2 Scene2

Back in the city, I have reconnected with pieces of the past that have come a long way. One of those pieces I stopped to really consider. Having known this particular piece six years now, I have seen many improvements which inspire me.

Let me pause here and state: People drive me crazy. At least, they used to. I had to learn that people are who they are and you have to decide what madness to keep in your life and which you simply can't handle. (To be clear, the latter may include unhealthy things you're better amputating than letting grow, keep that in mind in your own experience). Recently, very recently, I realized I can't change people, but why be friends with people you're secretly hoping will become other people? Shouldn't you rather pursue friendships with people you actually like? And there it was. I enjoyed certain people who drove me crazy and if I wanted to retain the friendship, it was hopeless unless I accepted them for exactly who they were.

This brings me to he who shall remain nameless. He was always known for loyalty. Humor. Intelligence. Cluelessness, to a degree. I've been pondering his redeeming traits, though, and discovered a long list.

The man has integrity, and I trust him. He doesn't always know what to say, but when he speaks, he's honest.

He has character. When people aren't looking, he is guided by a higher standard, to which he clings.
He's an honorable man. Imperfect, but learning from his mistakes, this one sees where he's been and alters the course before him, taking in the big picture and making sacrifices when others are at stake, without proclaiming his own talents.

The ability to see the best in people. This one really threw me. I thought at first that he was simple, or idle, or idealistic. But he's got that gift which allows him to see the best in people and zone in on it. And who among us isn't better for the person who believes us to be better than we are? Or who recognizes the promise without regarding the shortcomings?

Trust. He's guileless, and assumes his friends are, too.

Confidence. Let's talk about this one for a minute. The desire for confidence has led to some confusion with arrogance. Now, confidence can't come from "within," from your dead sexy good looks and awesome abilities (ahem, arrogance?). Despite your charm and talent, confidence has to come from something outside of you, something permanent, unmoving and stable. The man in question has got just that, on speed dial. He's comfortable in his own skin and that's downright attractive.

In the end, I realized I have a lot to learn from this man. Flashy he is not. Ripped supermodel, fashion icon...probably not. Better than all of the above?

Oh, yes.

Comments